Lamb Lake History
History of Lamb Lake
In the late 1930’s, Charles Hougham, having completed the rebuilding of Furnace’s Mills Dam which is now in Camp Atterbury, convinced his brothers, Robert B. Hougham, Omer Hougham and his nephew Robert E. Hougham, that a good place for a lake and dam would be across Blossom Creek, Hensley Township. After further investigation, they agreed to purchase land for this eventual use. The dam was to be across the ravine after Pitcher Hollow and Blossom Hollow joined.
The Hougham’s continued buying land until they had collectively purchased 1200 acres of land. Time passed but nothing was done toward the building of a dam.
In 1957, Dr. Russell Lamb and Robert E. Hougham joined forces with a much larger project in mind. More land was acquired both individually and jointly. The Hougham brothers were bought out by Robert E. Hougham and land was purchased from the Watson family, the Duckett family, the Meadors family and agreements were made with the Pitcher and LaGrange families. In 1962, 2400 acres were involved in the project.
In 1962, Dr. Lamb and Robert E. Hougham decided to start on the building of some of the smaller lakes, which were to be at the ends of the major Hollows (Blossom, Pitcher, Callon and Indian Creek). These smaller lakes were to act as secondary sediment basins in case of erosion.
The first and unfortunately the only dam built was across Callon Hollow. A 37 acre lake was constructed and named Hougham Lake. Through some error by A.S.C., after the dam was completed the A.S.C. required moving the top of the dam 16 feet to the South. The additional expense, which became involved, posed a big problem. The DREAMERS (Lamb & Hougham) were out of funds. The options were to develop the lake and give up on the big lake or sell it to generate some capital. The result was to sell the lake to Earlham College for their Biological Station—thus the birth of Earlham Lake.
With renewed vigor, Dr. Lamb and Hougham attacked with full speed ahead. Some of Dr. Lamb’s and Robert Hougham’s friends and relatives under the direction of Sheldon Key (Dr. Lamb’s brother-in-law) formed a corporation, Lamb Lake Development Corporation. This corporation was formed for the purpose of construction of the dam for Lamb Lake.
The following shareholders put up money and secured loans to finance the project:
James Colvin, Merle Delph, C. H. Ellis, Robert B. Hougham, Charles Johnson, Sheldon Key, Don Lamb, Dr. Emmett Lamb, Walter Lamb, John Kissling, Tony Lobraico, E. Doug Lowe, Ted Pruyn, Howard Reed, John Sordean, William Steckler, George Vickery, Dr. James W. Young and Robert G. Young.
Approval for building the dam was received on August 1, 1965. Work began on building the dam in early 1966.
Dr. Lamb purchased earth-moving equipment and a crew was assembled. Many local people were involved at one stage or another. Three Indians from the Yukon Territory were imported to help clear the land. Dr. Lamb and Hougham personally surveyed the entire shoreline of the proposed lake and during the winter months after the lake filled, cut standing trees off the ice.
Robert E. Hougham built his log house at the same time he was working on the construction of the dam—1966. The lake filled, after a very wet fall and winter, to capacity by February 1, 1967. E. Doug Lowe and Charles Johnson built their homes in 1967.
Lamb Lake Estates Lot Owners Association was formed November 6, 1967 with about 40 members (lot owners).
The Development Corporation after completing its mission was dissolved in 1979 and all remaining un-platted land it owned was given to the Lot Owners Association.